Sunday, July 13, 2008

Heres you Sign

I am surfing the net when I see a proposal in South Carolina for "I Believe" licences plates. I thought to myself oh boy here they come. I was not disappointed. I was very encouraged to see the A.C.L.U. is up to speed on the issue naturally calling for lawsuits. American United for the Separation of Church and State chimed in. I am so glad all these organizations are on the lookout for my welfare.

Before I decided to go "reverend" Jesse Jackson on someone and remove parts of anatomy. (JUST KIDDING). I saw a quote from the governor of SC who said..."While I do, in fact, ‘believe,’ it is my personal view that the largest proclamation of one’s faith ought to be in how one lives one’s life.” This struck me as very true. There are some on the other side of the fight trying to get plates that say "I don't Believe". I thought this is obvious, if you don't believe it is very evident. I thought you know if we do believe it should be obvious as well, without a license plate to do the talking.

Ok, with that being said and reiterated by the SC governor, another thought crossed my mind, and yes I am going to share it....humor me. When we see fights like this in the news it is a no win situation these days for the christian community. The ACLU and other freedom of speech stealing organizations will always lawyer up and the publicity of the fight and the mudslinging will do more harm than good. Even if the christian side is victorious.

So here is what I thought, when Jesus began his ministry He did not go appeal to Rome for personal plates on the chariots, or buy a bunch of "what would (I) do" wrist bands. He simply served His Father and the people around Him. He washed feet and ministered and taught to individuals. The government in His day as in ours will always squash efforts to display our faith. I am not saying we should not stop these efforts, just don't be discouraged when they do not succeed, and above all keep ministering to the people around you.

Ok I feel better now, thanks for the vine
143N1

4 comments:

Gena said...

That's some pretty good stuff there Mitchell. I love you.

jeramy sossaman said...

i'm with it james...thanks!

Chelle said...

Thanks James. You're the best! Ummmm.... not to be shallow, BUT could you do some shorter, funnier blogs??? Oh, should I have filtered there?

jeramy sossaman said...

ouch!!!!


james???